Very often Franz Barwig made small-scale prototypes of his figures in oak. For that reason it can be assumed that the sculpture we are exhibiting is the prototype for one of the two statues to the gods designed for the Emperor’s Anniversary Exhibition.
The two statutes to the gods were presented – perhaps even sold – to each of the two presidents of the Künstlervereinigung. One statue went to Rudolf Junk and is still in a private collection in Vienna, the other went to Joseph Urban who took it with him when he went to the U. S. in 1911. His estate is now part of the holdings of the Avery Library at Columbia University in New York/Harlem. It is there, on the first floor of the library building on the university campus, that the statue now stands.
We would like to thank Dr. Fellinger of the Belvedere, Vienna, for the documentation made available to us and also Mrs Susanne Klein-Barwig (Franz Barwig’s granddaughter) and Mr Franz Bogner for their helpful information.
FRANZ BARWIG the Older
Schönau near Neutitschein (Bohemia) 1868 – 1931 Vienna
Sculptor, woodcarver, ceramic and porcelain designer
From 1888 to 1897, Barwig studied woodcarving at the Vienna School of Arts and Crafts. From 1890 to 1904, he was active as a self-employed sculptor. 1904/05: teacher at the Technical School of Wood Processing in Villach. 1910–1922: teacher at the Vienna School of Arts and Crafts. 1931: memorial exhibition at the Vienna Secession, exhibition at the Austrian Gallery. Models for the Vienna Augarten porcelain factory and the Wienerberger Brick Works and Construction Company. Many of his works can be found in the Austrian Gallery, Belvedere.
Ref.: Thieme/Becker, Allgemeines Lexikon der bildenden Künstler, vol. 2, p. 587; W. Neuwirth, Wiener Keramik, p. 102; Österreichische Galerie im Oberen Belvedere, 1969, Franz Barwig