Back to category overview

Harlfinger-Zakucka Fanny / Podhájská Minka

Chess set

Sculpture
Print
About the artist Mank/Lower Austria 1873 – 1954 Vienna / Vienna 1881 – 1963 Prague
Designed by Fanny Harlfinger-Zakucka and Minka Podhájská, 1905
Executed by Wiener Werkstätte
Marked WW, FHZ and MP
Material Displayed at the Kunstschau Vienna in 1908
Wood, polychrome varnish.
Dimensions H 8.7 cm to 12.5 cm
Provenance property of the Primavesi family; the set was a present to Melitta Primavesi
Literature A Contemporary photograph is preserved in the Wiener Werkstätte photographic archives at the Austrian Museum of Applied Arts (MAK), Vienna, inv. no. WWF 89-1-3; Catalogue of Kunstschau 1908, Vienna 1908; room 29, p. 101, no. 142; Brandstätter: Design der WW 1903–1932; p. 84; comp. January edition of the journal Kind und Kunst, special edition of WW 1905; DKD XVII, 1905/06; Eisler: Österr. Werkkultur, p. 175; 100 Jahre WW, p. 230: Die Familie Primavesi und die Künstler Hanak, Hoffmann, Klimt; A. Husslein-Arco (Hg.)/A. Klee, Österreichische Galerie Belvedere, Vienna, Exhib. Cat., Kubismus – Konstruktivismus – Formkunst, Munich/London/New York 2016, p. 199, pl. 124

Exhibited at: Österreichische Galerie Belvedere, Vienna, 2008, Gustav Klimt und die Kunstschau 1908; Österreichische Galerie Belvedere, Vienna, 2016, Kubismus – Konstruktivismus – Formkunst

FANNY HARLFINGER (born ZAKUCKA)

Mank/Lower Austria 1873 – 1954 Vienna

Painter, graphic artist, arts and crafts

Wife of the painter Richard Harlfinger. She studied at the Vienna School of Arts and Crafts. In 1905, she showed her designs and wood block prints at the Vienna Exhibition and at the Exhibition of the Vereinigung bildender Künstlerinnen Österreichs. In 1906, she took part at the Paris Salon. She collaborated with the Wiener Werkstätte.

Ref.: Heinrich Fuchs, Die österreichischen Maler des 19. Jahrhunderts, vol. 2, Vienna 1973

MINKA (WILHEMINE) PODHÁJSKÁ

Vienna 1881 – 1963 Prague

Painter, illustrator, designed toys and decorative objects

Lived in Vienna until 1918. Private studies at the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts (A. Boehm, F. König), where she attended a course of sculpture. She designed wooden toys, bibelots, ceramic and also did interior designs. Podhájská was a member of the Klimt Group. She was in close contact with Czech artists in Vienna and Prague (Helene Johnová and the artists around Artěl). In Prague, she exhibited her toys as early as in 1907. In 1910, she presented an extensive collection of her works at the exhibition at the Topič Salon together with V. Myslivečková. She was successfully represented at exhibitions around Europe even before World War I and worked together with several arts and crafts workshops on a permanent basis. She designed excellent toys for WW, for Deutsche Werkstätten für Handwerkskunst, Dresden (1908-1915), but also for the Czech Hořice toy co-op. In 1918, she moved to Prague and soon started working together with Artěl.


Send us a message for this object

Chess set ⋅ Sculpture ⋅ Harlfinger-Zakucka Fanny / Podhájská Minka

Gender
Message *
* Required fields